- Fri, 11 Jul 2014 04:32:57 +0000: Former Bangor soccer coach who lost battle with cancer remembered for knowledge, compassion - Heart & Cancer
BANGOR, Maine — Luke Hettermann’s relationship with Dave Patterson transcended the typical player-coach dynamics.
And he’s thankful to have had that sort of friendship with Patterson, the former Bangor High School boys soccer coach who died Thursday at …
- Fri, 11 Jul 2014 00:15:00 +0000: Gardening could hold a key to better quality of life for cancer survivors - Heart & Cancer
Doctors and researchers have long associated a diet filled with fruits and vegetables with good health. Such a diet is seen as an aid in preventing such ailments as cancer and heart disease. What they have not studied extensively is the role that same …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 23:05:07 +0000: Testosterone Supplements Don’t Increase Risk of Heart Attack For Older Men, UT Medical Branch Study Suggests - Heart & Cancer
Older men who receive testosteroneÂ in the form of supplements don’t have an increased risk of suffering a heart attack, a study conducted by researchers at the University of Texas Medical Branch suggests.
Researchers led by Jacques BaillargeonÂ from the …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 21:59:25 +0000: Former Bangor police chief Don Winslow dies of cancer at 57 - Heart & Cancer
BANGOR, Maine — Former Bangor police chief Don Winslow died Thursday after having spent the last few months of his life sharing his experience facing terminal cancer and being embraced by the community he served.
He was 57.
Winslow was the 27th chief of …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 19:38:52 +0000: Could sniffing farts be GOOD for you? Potent gas in flatulence can help prevent cancer, strokes and heart attacks, claim scientists - Heart & Cancer
Researchers reveal secret health benefits of smelly gas hydrogen sulfide
Chemical is one of the gases produced as bacteria breaks down food in gut
Toxic in large doses but tiny amounts can help protect cells and fight illness
Exeter University experts say …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 19:29:54 +0000: Living With Cancer: Parting Gifts - Heart & Cancer
Susan Gubar writes about life with ovarian cancer.
Being in a cancer support group eventually means losing a friend. On the first day of November, Leslie informed the six of us that she would not attend our next meeting: “I am so tired and I think all the …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:59:40 +0000: They defied rain to tell cancer ‘we’re coming to get you’ - photos - Heart & Cancer
Thousands of women defied wet conditions to make a stand against cancer at Ferry Meadows in Peterborough on Tuesday night (8 July).
While over 5,500 miles away a small team dressed in yellow capitulated in front of their own crowd, at Ferry Meadows almost …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:21:46 +0000: Pete Julian's race isn't over, but the Oregon Project coach is kicking cancer - Heart & Cancer
The news, when it came in 2008, was direct, brutal and bleak.
Pete Julian's third cancer surgery had been only partially successful.
There still were at least three gastrointestinal stromal tumors in his body, probably more. The surgeons couldn't …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:17:29 +0000: As scientists say sunbathing can be addictive as heroin, one suntan junkie says 'I'd rather risk cancer (and wrinkles) than kick my tan addiction' - Heart & Cancer
Kay Mulvey is a sunbathing addict in every sense of the word
Despite her deep forehead furrows and crepey wrinkles in her decolletage, she can't - and won't - stop
Melanoma kills 1,550 people in England and Wales each year
Scientist say sunbathing …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 16:58:08 +0000: Cancer: It's Not All Rainbows and Butterflies - Heart & Cancer
Let me tell you something you already know. That is, cancer isn't all rainbows and butterflies; it's a vile, nasty disease, which destroys everything in its wake. I should know; I'm a stage III colon cancer survivor who in the aftermath of …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 15:49:40 +0000: New Cigna Individual Supplemental Health Products Pay Lump Sums from $5k to $100k for Those Diagnosed with Cancer, Heart Attack or Stroke - Heart & Cancer
New Cigna Individual Supplemental Health Products Pay Lump Sums from
$5k to $100k for Those Diagnosed with Cancer, Heart Attack or Stroke
Helps Provide Peace of Mind for Americans Stretching Their Paychecks
Optional Add-on Riders and Discounts for …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 11:48:30 +0000: Using liquid nitrogen, Cleveland Clinic Florida putting freeze on cancer - Heart & Cancer
Doctors at Cleveland Clinic Florida in Weston say they are using a novel, minimally invasive technique to put the freeze on a deadly cancer threatening seniors.
Using successive sprays of liquid nitrogen, like the kind used to zap away warts, cryoablation …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 02:26:52 +0000: Waiting times for cancer tests at six-year high: Nearly 19,000 patients have waited longer than six weeks for vital procedures - Heart & Cancer
Crucial procedures such as colonoscopy and MRI and CT scans are supposed to be undertaken within six weeks of a GP referral
Latest figures show in May this year alone more than 18,000 patients waited longer than that
It is five times higher than the …
- Thu, 10 Jul 2014 01:22:47 +0000: Key to surviving bowel cancer could be vitamin D - Heart & Cancer
Patients with bowel cancer with high levels of vitamin D in their body are more likely to survive the disease, Scottish research suggests.
An Edinburgh University team found that patients with the highest levels of vitamin D in their blood had half the …
- Wed, 09 Jul 2014 19:55:37 +0000: Cycling linked to prostate cancer, but not infertility - Heart & Cancer
Wednesday July 9 2014
Cycling brings a range of health benefits
"Men who cycle more than nine hours a week are … more likely to develop prostate cancer," the Mail Online inaccurately reports. The story comes from the publication of an online …
- Wed, 09 Jul 2014 18:15:25 +0000: Tokyo firm to launch DNA testing service for cancer, other conditions - Heart & Cancer
Mobile video game provider DeNA Co. said Wednesday it will launch a DNA testing service in mid-August in partnership with a unit at a leading research laboratory.
Called Mycode, the service offers to reveal genetic markers for up to 283 different …
- Wed, 09 Jul 2014 16:31:03 +0000: Campaigner inspired by tragedy up for Heart of Ulverston award - Heart & Cancer
Last updated at 14:56, Wednesday, 09 July 2014
A MUM who turned a personal tragedy into her inspiration to campaign for young people’s health has been nominated for a Heart of Ulverston award.
• Do you know someone who lives, works, or has a strong …
- Wed, 09 Jul 2014 15:58:21 +0000: The long run: Wichita races cathartic for cancer survivor - Heart & Cancer
The finish line at a marathon isn’t just the conclusion of a 26.2-mile race.
It can initiate a new beginning in lives. It can be a rite of passage into sacred status among runners. And it can be the motivation for resolve to overcome doubt.
But Becky …
- Wed, 09 Jul 2014 13:00:44 +0000: Cancer, Denial, and the Sovereignty of God - Heart & Cancer
“I’m sorry. I don’t think I caught that. I have what?” “I said the tests are conclusive. You have cancer. I’m very sorry.” It doesn’t matter what has transpired before we or our loved ones hear these words, or what happens after. In that first frozen …
- Wed, 09 Jul 2014 05:58:00 +0000: 5 Delicious Heart Healthy Snacks Presented by Beauty Research - Heart & Cancer
Beauty Research, a beauty blogging web site, published an article today discussing nutrition for heart health.
Newport Beach, CA (PRWEB) July 08, 2014
One out of every four deaths that occur in the United States each year are due to heart disease, making …