- Sat, 25 Oct 2014 06:32:48 +0000: Pupils' wear new pink uniform to help breast cancer charity - Heart & Cancer
STAFF and pupils at St Mary’s RC Primary School in Horwich have raised £140 for the Breast Cancer Campaign after a Wear It Pink Day on Friday.
Children, teachers and parents were all encouraged to wear something pink and donate to the charity, which …
- Sat, 25 Oct 2014 04:56:10 +0000: FOX 4 Problem Solvers: Woman battling cancer gets help fixing her home from Zucca Roofing - Heart & Cancer
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A modest house in South Kansas City has been called home by Linda Cull for 50 years. It’s where she was raised and continued to live as an adult, caring for her father who has since passed away.
“Now that he’s gone, I’ve had a harder …
- Sat, 25 Oct 2014 04:48:10 +0000: New study unveils how cancer drug causes heart failure - Heart & Cancer
HOUSTON, Nov. 15 (Xinhua) -- A drug that kills cancer by damaging DNA also attacks heart muscle, which for some patients leads to heart failure, a new study by U.S. scientists shows.
Scientists at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and …
- Sat, 25 Oct 2014 02:26:57 +0000: Many factors contributed to limits on cancer treatment - Heart & Cancer
Cancer is the second most common cause of death in the United States, exceeded only by heart disease. Cancer accounts for one out of every four deaths.
Many factors contribute to our limited success in fighting cancer. Late diagnosis, often after the …
- Sat, 25 Oct 2014 02:26:15 +0000: County women's stories show breast cancer can strike at any age - Heart & Cancer
Breast cancer can strike at any age.
Erica Kaltenbach of Linthicum was 18 when something under her left arm began to annoy her.
"It was an irritating pain," she said.
Elizabeth "Beth" DeCesaris was 33 when she noticed one breast …
- Sat, 25 Oct 2014 02:26:03 +0000: How can you help your friend with breast cancer? - Heart & Cancer
One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer sometime in her lifetime, and that means almost all of us will know someone who receives the diagnosis. It can be unsettling when a friend or co-worker is diagnosed. You want to do the right thing …
- Sat, 25 Oct 2014 00:23:01 +0000: First pictures of Ashya King after cancer treatment as parents reveal they don't feel... - Heart & Cancer
Published 24/10/2014 | 14:47
The parents of brain cancer patient Ashya King, who removed him from hospital in Southampton without medical consent, have said they do not feel "safe" enough to return to the UK.
Brett and Naghmeh King are planning …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:30:38 +0000: Calendar: Breast Cancer Awareness Month in Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley - Heart & Cancer
Caruso Affiliated’s The Americana at Brand and The Grove: As the shopping centers are decorated with breast cancer awareness pink, participating stores are offering varying donation incentives during October. Nordstrom at The Grove will donate $2 …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 22:41:35 +0000: Girl, 7, shaves head to support 5-year-old sister in remission from cancer - Heart & Cancer
Kerri Zimmer Fraser
2 hours ago
I've been working at TODAY for 10 years and have had the privilege of telling many stories, but the story of these two little sisters is one of my favorites.
At the end of September, childhood cancer …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 22:32:38 +0000: Team studying way to modify cells to stop next heart attack - Heart & Cancer
Saturday, Oct 25, 2014
The Straits Times
By Aw Cheng Wei
A group of four researchers from two medical institutions here are working together to come up with personalised treatment for patients to have a better shot at life after their first heart attack.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 22:12:07 +0000: Knowing Genetic Risk for Cancer May Not Change Behavior - Heart & Cancer
FRIDAY Oct. 24, 2014, 2014 -- As more genetic tests are developed that spot increased risks for certain cancers, one might think that high-risk people would be more proactive about getting screened.
But a new study suggests that, at least with colon …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 22:03:12 +0000: Paula Abdul - Paula Abdul Unveils Check Yourself Breast Cancer Awareness Video - Heart & Cancer
Veteran pop star Paula Abdul is reminding women to regularly check themselves for lumps with a catchy new song and dance routine for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
The Straight Up hitmaker, 52, has teamed up with bosses at beauty brand Avon for the …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:28:56 +0000: Behind Phil Kirk's behind-the-scenes efforts was a heart of gold - Heart & Cancer
File | KCBJ
In this file photo, Phil Kirk, retired chairman of DST Realty Inc., stands outside the Kirkwood residential development at 4950 Central St., where he has a residence. DST Realty co-developed the project.
After learning of Phil Kirk's death …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:25:44 +0000: 'Napkin notes' dad battles cancer again, shares inspiring story in new book - Heart & Cancer
Eun Kyung Kim
1 hour ago
The Virginia dad who inspired a nation with the short, simple notes he writes to his daughter every morning on napkins slipped into her lunchbox is now sharing his mission in a book, one he began writing weeks after …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:25:36 +0000: A heart full of the will to thrive - Heart & Cancer
By Phyllis Moore
Published in News on October 24, 2014 2:28 PM
firstname.lastname@example.org Peggy Southerland had such a strong family history of breast cancer that she was almost expecting to receive the diagnosis herself. "For some strange reason, I always …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:33:47 +0000: Program Focuses on Heart Health in Cancer - Heart & Cancer
The Vanderbilt Cardio-Oncology program has fostered a special collaborative relationship combining the expertise of cardiologists and oncologists to understand the effects of cancer therapy on the heart. This type of collaboration is now helping to define …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:45:51 +0000: Courageous Pregnant Mom With Cancer Refuses Cancer Treatment and Abortion - Heart & Cancer
by Steven Ertelt | Warwick, RI | LifeNews.com | 10/24/14 12:44 PM
A pregnant mom in Rhode Island knows what sacrifice means. She served her country by serving in the military and now she is willing to sacrifice her own life not just for her country but …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:11:36 +0000: Durham University professor turns to thriller writing after being diagnosed with cancer - Heart & Cancer
Time is precious and every day is important for Prof Robert Williams.
The Durham University lecturer was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2012 - later to be told it was incurable.
Despite medics’ words having a chilling impact on his life, he tells me …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:27:08 +0000: Athlete thanks rivals for support in cancer fight - Heart & Cancer
HOBART, Indiana — One of the most significant days in the life of Joey Sparks occurred Aug. 23, 2013.
"It was the first football game of my life. It was so exciting," Sparks said recently at Hobart High School. "We played Gary West Side, a …
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:59:31 +0000: Aspirin’s Protective Effect in Cancer Explained - Heart & Cancer
For years, scientists have known that regular aspirin use may reduce the risk of cancer.
“Studies have shown that aspirin administration for five or more years reduces the incidence of all cancers by 38 percent,” said Pierre Massion, M.D., professor of …